The spinach and artichoke dip is legendary but how about a sandwich filled with this dip? I would say that is even better! It is unapologetically rich filled with creamy dip and is also cheesy and tangy. Make it and take it along to your next picnic or even a day out on the beach.This sandwich is pure comfort food and I promise it will become your favorite way to enjoy this tasty dip.
I love spinach, artichokes and mushrooms. So, spinach and artichoke dip happens to be a favorite dish of mine. However I am also looking for other ways to use up leftover dip since I always make too much. The other day I realized this would be great in a sandwich. Of course, I am not the first one to make this but I really wanted to try making a vegan version. I am excited to say it turned out great! It is just as creamy, cheesy and tasty as the non-vegan version.
What do you need for Spinach and Artichoke Dip
The main component of this sandwich is of course the dip. I have used the following ingredients listed below. The complete list of ingredients and instructions will be in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Canned whole artichokes
- Vegan Yoghurt/Sour Cream
- Vegan cream cheese
- Plant based milk
- Vegan Mozzarella
- Fresh herbs like thyme and basil
For the bread, I used sourdough since I thought that would go better with this dip.You can of course use any type of sturdy bread you would like.
Making the dip and assembly
We will start by lightly sautéing the mushrooms with the fresh herbs and spinach. Then in a bowl, we will mix this in along with the other ingredients and keep aside in the fridge.
Then spread some vegan mayo or butter on both sides of the bread slices and place some of the dip on one of the slices. Ensure it is evenly spread and cover with the other slice. Heat a cast iron pan or griddle and place the sandwich once hot. Turn it over once the face down side is nicely toasted or the mozzarella has melted. Repeat for all the sandwiches.
Did you try this recipe? Then please take some time to leave a review and rating below. Let me know what you liked or if you made any changes/swaps to the recipe so that your fellow readers can try them out. If you do make this dish, please tag me at #dillandthyme on Instagram. See what else I am up to on IG, Pinterest and Meta
Looking for more recipes? Try these ones below.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Sandwich
For the Dip
- 1 can Whole Artichokes drained and halved
- 1 cup Spinach packed
- 4-5 Mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup Plant Milk unflavored
- 1/3 cup Vegan Yoghurt/Sour Cream
- Vegan Shredded Mozzarella as needed
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 4-5 Fresh Basil
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
For the Bread
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread
- Vegan Mayo/ Butter as required
- Heat a medium sized wide pan to medium low. Add the oil and wait till it is hot. Add the thyme and saute for a minute. Now add the mushrooms and let it cook for 5 minutes until they lose their moisture.
- Now add the spinach, basil and saute for a minute to let them wilt. Place this mixture in a bowl and add all the other ingredients for the dip. Mix well.
- Heat a cast iron pan or griddle to medium. Spread the butter or mayo on both sides of the bread slices.
- Place some of the dip on one side of the bread slice. Ensure it is spread evenly. Put the other bread slice on top and place the sandwich on the hot pan.
- Wait for a few minutes till it is browned and flip it. Once both sides are browned remove from the pan.
- Serve hot with fries, pickles or chips.
- You can make the dip ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to a day in advance. I would not recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for longer than that or freezing.
- I chose to use little mozzarella but you can add any amount you want.
- If you don’t want to use mushrooms, skip it or substitute with sun dried tomatoes. You can also substitute the fresh herbs with dry herbs.