Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The links provided in this post might include affiliate links which earns me a small commission when you purchase using them at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
These lemon scones are delicious and full of spring flavors. I am a huge fan of lemon blueberry scones and always down for a sweet snack. Although scones are not very sweet, sometimes I just crave a savory snack. These savory scones are perfect for those times when I crave one. These are flaky,soft, crumbly and taste so good!Also did I mention, these scones are completely vegan?
For me scones are a perfect tea time snack. I mean even if you are a coffee person, you can’t go wrong with scones. I decided to go with the lemon flavor for these ones well since spring is here and what better flavor than lemon right? And not just that I decided to pair it with rosemary since they go so well together and turn it in to one tasty scone.
Also if you have never tried tried making scones before, this is the perfect recipe to try now.
- Scones are very easy to make and equally easy to make vegan as well. They do not require any hand or stand mixers.
- Since these scones don’t contain any fruit, its also much simpler to work the dough while making the scones.
- If you decide to go with other flavors, you can still use the same base recipe and be assured it will turn out to be amazing
- It’s quite easy to swap the savory to sweet or vice versa. Just a couple of ingredient changes, you can satisfy your sweet or savory tooth.
In the mood to bake? Try some of these other recipes
How to make lemon scones?
The most important characteristic of a scone is the flaky, crumbly texture while keeping it soft. We definitely do not want a dry scone. This is achieved by the process of incorporating butter in to the dough in a particular way. The butter when exposed to the heat in the oven releases moisture during the baking process. As the moisture escapes, it lifts the dough around it ever so slightly. When bits of butter does this across the board, the entire scone takes on that flaky crumbly texture that we all enjoy so much.
Preheat the oven to 375 deg F. In a bowl add the dry ingredients and mix well. Now add the frozen sliced butter and coat well with the flour. Slowly rub the coated butter pieces between your two palms or between your thumb and index fingers to turn it in to thinner sheets of butter. Continue doing this until all of the butter has been turned in to thin sheets. An alternative is to grate the frozen butter and mix in to the dry ingredients.
Once done, add the lemon juice,plant based milk and knead in to a dough. Transfer the dough onto a flat surface and flatten it using a rolling pin. Fold it over 2-3 times to build layers and roll out in to 1″ inch thick circle around 8-9 ” in diameter.
Cut in to 8 triangles or “pies” using a knife or pastry cutter. Brush the top with a little bit of the milk and place on a lined sheet pan. Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes until the outside is golden brown. Enjoy while warm.
How to store the lemon scones?
Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3-4. Warm up in the microwave or oven before serving if cold. You can also prepare the dough triangles and individually wrap them in plastic wrap before placing in the freezer. When ready to bake, let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake the following day.
How to make the sweet version of these scones?
The only difference would be to add 6 tbsp of cane sugar(make sure it is vegan) and 1 tbsp of vanilla extract. Also halve the salt mentioned in the recipe and omit the rosemary leaves. You can also top the scones before baking with coarse sugar. Add 3/4 cup of whole fresh or completely frozen blueberries to make it blueberry lemon scones.
Savory Lemon Scones with Rosemary
- 2 cup AP Flour
- 2 tbsp Fresh/Dry Rosemary Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Frozen Vegan Butter Cubed, sliced or grated
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper powdered
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Plant Based Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F. Place all the dry ingredients except the butter in a bowl and mix well.
- Now add the butter and mix well to ensure it is fully coated in flour. Now using your hands, slowly rub the flour coated butter cubes or slices between your palms. You can do this between your thumb and index fingers as well.
- Ensure all of the butter is rubbed in to thin sheets and mixed well. Now add the lemon juice and plant milk. Mix to form a dough.
- Place on a flat surface and roll in to flat disc of about 1" thickness and 8-9" diameter. Cut in to 8 pieces in the shape of triangles or "pies".
- Place on a lined sheet pan and bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes. Serve warm.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The products linked in this post could be affiliate links and any purchases through these links will earn me a small commission.These purchases do not affect the price that you are charged. Thank you for your support.