Asparagus has been on my mind with spring right around the corner at least here in my part of the woods in the Pacific Northwest. This asparagus flat bread is just the right dish to enjoy this delicious spring vegetable. It is simple, tasty and satisfying. It is also vegetarian and can easily be made vegan.
I have paired it with a cashew lemon sauce that adds creaminess and slight tang that goes well with asparagus. This recipe also makes use of a store bought flatbread which means this dish comes together really quickly for lunch or brunch. Details are below.
Flatbreads as pizza bases
I decided to make this asparagus flatbread pizza since I was looking for something light and filling at the same time. As much as I love a traditional pizza , I regularly opt for a flatbread for base because it gives me options. When I use something like a naan or pita, it becomes a personal sized pizza(instant potion control!). In this case, I decided to go with store bought whole wheat lavash bread. Lavash is a thin flat leavened bread that is widely used in Armenia, West Asia and the Caspian Sea region. Lavash is usually found in lots of grocery stores/ ethnic food markets. I get my hands on lavash at my local Trader Joe’s. It is a soft and pliable bread which is perfect for making wraps. However put it in the oven for a few minutes and it turns in to a more hard brittle texture. This acts as a sturdy base to carry toppings.
It is also super light compared to a regular pizza crust and I love it for that reason. A few minutes in the oven and it is good to go. I regularly use veggies such as broccoli, peppers etc as toppings. I have played with different bases like red sauce, pesto as a base and they all taste great!
Ingredients for asparagus flat bread
I wanted to keep this asparagus flatbread focused more on the produce and hence did not use a sauce base. Here I have used parmesan cheese as a base and topping. I also added in some baby Bellas to make it more filling.
- Asparagus – The quantity will vary depending on the size of the flat bread you are using. For the rectangular lavash bread, I used 1 pound of fresh thin asparagus. I just broke off the woody stem end but did not cut them into smaller pieces. You can of course cut them in to whatever size suits your base.
- Mushrooms – I used mini baby bellas but white button would also work great. I used these sliced.
- Parmesan – 3/4 cup parmesan shreds for both the base and topping. Adjust according to taste and size of bread.
- Lavash – I used whole wheat lavash bread from Trader Joe’s. You can use naan, pita or any flatbread of your choice.
- Raw Cashews – 1/2 cup. I would suggest soaking it in hot water for a couple of hours prior to running them through a blender.
- Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
- Lime Zest – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – use a neutral tasting oil. I chose avocado oil
- Salt and Pepper
Gluten- Free options : Swap out the bread with any gluten-free option of your choice.
Vegan options:The only ingredient that is not vegan is the parmesan cheese. Feel free to swap with store bought vegan parmesan/ mozzarella. Be also sure to check the flatbread is fully vegan if using store bought.
Making the flatbread
This entire recipe only uses the oven(and a blender!) and hence has minimal clean up. The first step would be to soak the cashews in hot water for a couple of hours. I would suggest doing this before prepping the other ingredients.
- Prep the asparagus but trimming the woody end and chopping the mushrooms.
- Place the asparagus on a lined pan sheet and coat with 2 table spoons of neutral tasting oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 375 deg F for 15 minutes or until the asparagus is slightly browned and the oil droplets sizzling.
- Now combine the ingredients for the lemon cashew sauce along with the some water used for soaking to a high speed blender. Run the blender until all the cashews have been ground in to a smooth paste. Add more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Mix the mushrooms separately with some oil, salt and pepper.
- Now place the flatbread on a lined sheet pan. Top with parmesan cheese. Assemble the roasted asparagus and the mushrooms. Add more parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 deg F until you see the edges of the flatbread get crispy and brown.
- Serve hot topped with the creamy cashew lemon sauce. I would highly recommend enjoying this fresh. The bread will become soggy as time goes by and if refrigerated.
Please let me know what you think of this Asparagus Flatbread if you try it. You can take me on Instagram using #dillandthyme or Pinterest. You are also welcome to leave a comment and rating down below. Did you use any other ingredients? Let us know that as well.
These are other recipes that you might enjoy
Asparagus Flat Bread with Lemon Sauce
- Parchment Paper
- 1 lb Asparagus woody end trimmed
- 1/2 cup White or baby Bella sliced
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Shreds sub with vegan cheese for vegan version
- 1 Lavash Bread
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Cashew Lemon Sauce
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt to taste
Cashew Lemon sauce
- Soak the cashews in hot water for a couple hours.
- Add these cashews to the blender with a little bit of the same water along with the rest of the ingredients and blend in a high speed blender. Add more water if the sauce is too thick. Keep aside.
- Heat oven to 375 deg F. Place the asparagus in a lined sheet pan. Spray or add some oil, salt, pepper and mix well. Roast in oven for 15 minutes until the asparagus is nicely roasted and keep aside. Reduce the oven heat to 350 Deg F
- Mix the mushrooms with some oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the lavash/ flatbread on the sheet pan. Top with parmesan cheese. Now assemble the asparagus and mushrooms. Add the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven for 5 minutes or until the edges of the flatbread are lightly browned and crispy.
- Serve hot topped with the cashew lemon sauce.